Monday, March 31, 2008

Seriously, Who Comes Up With These Things?

So if you haven't heard there's a new browser-based free-to-play (at the start) game called Miss Bimbo. The game revolves around creating a virtual "bimbo" that the player has to purchase food and accessories for, maintaining a certain weight and height in order to be "the most popular bimbo". The game is marketed to young girls (tweens) and has gotten a large amount of press, particularly for the option to have plastic surgery and breast enhancement within the game.

Here's The Guardian's take on it.

Feministing's (The most professional "extreme" feminist site I've come across) article. You have to scroll down to find it since they don't let you link directly to their articles.

And last, but not least, Leigh Alexander's via GameSetWatch take on it. I especially appreciate the comparison with GTA that occurs towards the end of the article (girls aren't the only ones who face unrealistic expectations).

Honestly, I agree with each of these articles, and while I believe that Leigh Alexander's take to be the most "adult", I'm not sure if I would let my daughter play this game. Perhaps if it had taken a sarcastic approach, helping girls realize how absurd their ideas of what the world expects them to look like really are, then this wouldn't bug me. But as it stand, a game where being the biggest bimbo is a good thing just seems rotten to the core to me.

No comments: