Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Q'es'ion

I won't say much tonight, my brain is still reeling from discussing Maccabees 1+2 earlier today and I have to study for a latin exam tomorrow. However I wanted to mention my feelings on a particular topic, and perhaps even get some of your opinions on it as well. The topic in question being proper nouns with comma's in them.

You have all seen them, Shak'Ti, P'Telt'tar, Yd'rg'dr'sl, the last being a particularly fanciful spelling of Yggdrasil I once saw.

I hate them myself, whenever I see them in print I never rightly know how to pronounce them, and even when I do my mind seems to skip past them and invent some new phrase to say instead every time I come across it.

Yet when I hear them being spoken aloud they provide some of the most beautiful and powerful proper nouns that I've come across.

So, how do you feel about them?

No comments: