Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Call to Action

So what happened to responsibility?

As my parents and I were leaving our local Grand Central Bakery we noticed that behind our car there was another car parked in such a fashion that it was impossible for us (and the two cars next to ours, as well as the three cars on the other side) to leave. Since this is very illegal, as well as a might annoying and dangerous, I decided to go back into the bakery and ask whose car that was.

Now I'm not saying that I wasn't a little angry, and I certainly wasn't the politest I have ever been, but I didn't yell and I certainly didn't swear. All I did was tell the lady who happened to own this vehicle that she needed to move her car immediately, that it was parked illegally and that it was a hazard. The employees of the establishment even backed me up and told the lady that she couldn't park there and had to move her car. Despite all of this, the woman said that I was a "bastard" and as she left she declared that it was, "people like you who are ruining this country."

Yup.

Everyone, please don't let people like this get away unopposed. If you see someone cut in line, park illegally, jaywalk, anything of that sort, please challenge them. Don't yell, don't swear, just tell them what they're doing is wrong and challenge what they are doing. Most of the time it isn't policeman that keep people from breaking the law, it's fear of social ostracism. Kids go tagging and breaking windows with their friends because they are afraid of being looked down on by their peers. Well guess what, it works the other way too. Don't let these people get away with their habits, go up to them and make them feel that there are consequences.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Way to stand your ground. It's sad to see that people are abusing the politeness of others. I hope that more people follow your example and stand up to these jerks.

Anonymous said...

The fact that the employees were on your side is something to appreciate. It means that the whole world isn't going insane, just part of it.