Thursday, May 22, 2008

The En...?

Has anyone else noticed an annoying trend in movie and television writing lately? I swear, almost every movie or season finalé I watch these days has a cliffhanger ending. The movies have it a little less, at least the main villain is dead (well not in Eragon's case but that wasn't a very good movie anyways), but there's always some other, larger problem that remains unsolved. TV is worse though, like the CSI: New York season ender, which, I don't know, didn't end. They pull this cliffhanger and just expect viewers to sit with it until the next season starts? Some part of me has a feeling that people have been forgetting how to end stories, and especially how to conclude them. It used to be that an epilogue was a rare thing, but for the past few years I've been seeing them crop up left and right. And those little snippets that movies have after the credits roll, I remember when those used to come before the credits.

Really this is just a rant about me wanting a remake of FFVII on the PS3. Crisis Core was an amazing prequel (I can't believe I just put those two words together), it's story held on its own, but also deeply enriched the experience you get from FFVII. When they show that opening cinematic at the end of Crisis Core it made me want to pop in my FFVII disc right then and there. Only thing that stopped me was that the graphical downshift would have caused a nasty grinding noise and stalled the emotions that Crisis Core had built up in me.

If you are a fan of FFVII, or just want a fun (albeit easy) PSP game, I cannot recommend Crisis Core enough. Honestly, its the best game I've played on that system yet (also it has new game+ which every game with a good story needs desperately).

No comments: