Wednesday, June 25, 2008

It's YOUNG ADULT, Not OLD KIDS

Sorry about the short post tonight, there have been things going on that have required more of my attention and brainpower than I would have liked. I also apologize in advance for tomorrow, as I will be extremely busy and there is a good chance that I will forget the post entirely.

One thing that has always bugged me is how bookstores and libraries are categorized. You see, most of the books that I enjoy during my leisure time seem to come from the Young Adult section. Now this is not odd, seeing as how I am 21 years of age, a young adult in the full meaning of the word. However, I have been going to the Young Adult section as far back as I can remember. I quickly grew bored of the children's section, and the adult novels seemed to suffer from a lack of originality and a cornucopia of bland writing.

The bookcases of the Young Adult section seem to swell due to the enormity of the differences in maturity and reading levels required in it. On one shelf are the Boxcar Boys, tales I grew tired of in elementary school, yet right beside the boys lies the Titans of Chaos series, which requires an intimate and obscure knowledge of ancient myths, Einsteinian physics, string theory, quantum theory, chemistry, biology, Latin, French, German, Tolkien, The Once and Future King, the list goes on. The series is not one I could have read three years ago and understood, yet it sits humbly in the Young Adult section, ignored by those to embarrassed to be seen reading from the "kids section."

Either we as a society need to eradicate this fear of appearing childish, or we need to separate the Young Adult section into a few more categories.

P.S. I cannot recommend the Titans of Chaos trilogy (John C. Wright) enough, though you may have to do a bit of studying up beforehand, or at least keep a computer with internet access nearby, as there are a lot of obscure references.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember Madeleine L'Engle once said,"You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children."

Of course, I only liked her books dealing with the first generation O'Keefes. The second generation had no personality, and everything having to do with the Austins is pure crap.

Not all adult books are awful, just most. You should read City of Saints and Madmen by Jeff Vandermeer. I'm not sure if its your style, but it's been one of my favorites since my freshman year in highschool. I re-read it recently, and it was better then I remembered.