Sunday, June 8, 2008

Seperated At Birth?


I watched a friend of mine replay Half-Life 2: Episode 2 this weekend and I noticed that Half-Life 2's female companion, Alyx, reminds me a lot of Beyond Good & Evil's protagonist Jade. Both are slightly asian women who fight in underground organizations, and both have allies who are good with machinery and have a predilection towards using tools as weapons (the crowbar and gravity gun for Gordon, and the wrench, hammer thing for Pey'J). Hell, they even look similar.

However, more important than any of the similarities I have mentioned is the fact that they both feel realistic. Both characters give off this feeling that you could meet them while waiting for a bus. Basically they feel like they're real people, which is something I feel that writers and developers in the game industry should take a closer look at (or the film industry for that matter).

Edit: Well apparently I'm not the only one thinking this.

1 comment:

Michael Abbott said...

Proof positive that great minds think alike! ;-)