Sunday, June 22, 2008

LAN = Local Area Network

Outside of my close group of friends, I don't know that many gamers, or people with gaming related knowledge. As such, it's always a unique experience describing what a lan party is. While some people do take the time to try and understand, they are, unfortunately, the minority. When I reveal that I am heading to a lan party, or that I'm tired because of one, the conversation usually follows something along these lines:

Me: Man, I'm beat. That lan party was a lot of fun though.

Edward Example: A lan party, what's that?

Me: Well, it's a party where you get together with a bunch of friends and you all bring your computers with you so that you can play games.

E.E.: Wait, why would you get together to do that, can't you play with each other online.

Me: Well yes, but it's a lot more fun when you're all playing in a room together. Plus, since you're on a local network, you can play a game with each other that isn't online, so that way nobody can show up uninvited.

E.E.: If you're just playing games then why are you so tired? It's not like sitting in a chair is exhausting.

Me: There are always weird rules when you hang out with friends, but at most lan parties there's an unwritten rule that you can't go to sleep. If you do fall asleep, your friends will go on your computer and change your background and passwords and stuff. Plus there's all of the social interactions that go on whenever a large group of people get together, so it can be quite tiring, especially since gamers tend to fare on the introverted side of the spectrum.

E.E.: So let me get this straight. You take your computer, get it ready for transport, take it somewhere else, put it back together, play games for 24 or more hours, and then take it back home?

Me: Yes.

E.E.: All to play video games?

Me: Yes.

E.E.: You're crazy.

Me: And sleepy.

When you think about what happens at lan parties, and all of the work that goes into them, they are one of the craziest ideas, but I really suggest giving it a try sometime. Only with close friends, people tend to get a lot more irritable at five in the morning, and only if you're comfortable with it (there's nothing worse than being uncomfortable at a party, especially one this long). Lan parties are a lot of fun, and if you go through your life without going to one you are missing an experience like no other.

P.S. Written at 7:58 A.M. after staying up at a lan party, so forgive the grammar.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hah, my school use to host lan parties. I was never invited because I was THAT socially awkward.

Unknown said...

Hahaha Nice example conversation, Cory. That's pretty much how it really goes down.

I'm curious, do you take any energy drinks at LAN parties? And have you ever tried 6 Hour Power? I work for them and think they make the perfect 'pick me up' for those marathon gaming sessions since it doesn't end with a crash. They also improve your concentration and enhance your performance.

The drinks are sugar free, have zero calories, and come in 5 different flavors too: grape, punch, berry, orange, and lemon lime. Check them out at http://www.6hrpower.com/

By the way, I hope you don't mind me contacting you like this. I figure you'd want to try it out the next time you're gaming like that. If you want more info or have any questions just shoot me an e-mail. I'd love to know what you think of the 6 Hour Power energy shot!

Franklin Keane
Brand Ambassador
Franklin6hrpower@gmail.com