Thursday, April 24, 2008

So Wanna Say, But Really Shouldn't

Alright so I had an absurdly awesome idea for a game today and I really wish I had a development studio at my fingertips so that I could make it. Sadly, I do not have a development studio at my beck-and-call, but I still really like the idea, which is why you won't hear too many details from me (I'm kind of paranoid). Why I think it's a good idea is as follows:

It has a pretty and varied landscape.

It has very few, but extremely unique enemies. Similar in fashion to Shadow of the Colossus there are no enemies besides the few boss fights. This focus on single opponents allows for a lot of depth and detail in each of these enemies, and unlike Shadow of the Colossus, these wouldn't be the same kind of fight over and over with a slightly different puzzle each time. Each of these bosses are very different from one another, and the ways to defeat them are extremely different (think platformer versus fps different, or chess versus freeze-tag).

There's a story based around mystery and interpersonal relationships, like Lost, but I know what the hell is going on (seriously I haven't seen the invisible polar bear/t-rex in ages, where did they go, did they explain that on an episode that I missed?).

A defined area for the game world, as in I already know how much space is necessary and where everything should go. Also includes natural barriers to avoid the "invisible-wall" effect (and no, making the invisible walls visible a la Assassin's Creed does not count).

Online Multiplayer that works gameplay-wise (whether connections could handle it or not is something that I don't know enough to answer).

A gameplay experience that would change every single time.

A game world that continues to run as you play, so a second boss could run into you as you fight the first (though that shouldn't happen unless you've done something really bizarre with the first boss to change his location).

I could go on, but this is a really solid idea I feel (wish I could describe it more, but you'll have to talk to me in person for that, plus I really like it). I think the most interesting thing is how full of an idea it came to me. The gameplay, the world, the story, the characters, all of these came to me at the same time, which never happens. Oh well, if all goes according to plan, expect to see this game within ten years, until then, just try to imagine what I've got cooked up.

No comments: