Sunday, February 24, 2008

Art Is Art

Art and politics, according to those I study, my professors, and my peers, are an inseparable combination. According to everyone around me, art cannot continue to exist unless it performs a social function.

These people are wrong.

Art's only function is to be pretty, sound good, entertain. Art is not here to inspire revolution. It is not a painter's job to fix the inequities with society; all he has to do is make pretty pictures. To force politics, social function, onto art, be it a painting, a poem, a movie, is to kill the creative spirit in that piece. Making a political statement through art grounds your piece in a single time frame one-hundred years from now, nobody is going to care about the presidential race of '08, but works like DaVinci, Michelangelo, Monet, these will live on for centuries to come.

Art is art, that's all there is too it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

RIGHT ON!

Anonymous said...

Your site doesn't like me.... I haven't been able to log on for a couple of days now... hopefully it will be better now!