Friday, February 1, 2008

A Mistake And A Glimpse From The Future!?

I forgot to include the link to the article in my last post, and since edit doesn't work on my laptop, here it is. I also forgot to mention that you won't be seeing too many posts like the last one, as I don't really like doing those (too much work finding the actual quotes and choosing quotes that are short, but also talk about what you want to discuss), I much prefer to rant to an audience who either has no idea what I'm talking about or took the time to read the whole article and can discuss the topic as an informed participant. I only did the last post the way I did to try something new, remember the whole purpose of this site is to improve my writing. However, I am not done with the general topic (men, young adults, commitment), so expect to get an insight into my personal feelings of the issue by Sunday evening at the latest.

-Cory Ragsdale

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked your comments about the stupidity of trying to relate a work of fiction to real life. People are complex and not easily pigeon holed. I worry that young women are being brain washed into believing that they can DO IT ALL, that multi-tasking can organize away the rough spots, that their children will survive daycare just fine. Life is making difficult choices and I can tell you that no one can exchange hyper activity for a truly satisfying life.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about this article and I realized that one aspect she ignored was these men she feels populate the world are being raised by WOMEN. So, shouldn't she be looking at why these women are raising men with no drive?

Cory said...

That's a very interesting side of it that I didn't think of at all. What I really dislike is that a man could fulfill most of the things on her list that makes them a child-man (isn't manchild a more common term anyways) while still being extremely successful and active (She doesn't include anything about the workplace at all really). Personally I'm not that interested in marriage until I meet the person that I know I want to be with for the rest of my life, someone that I can have children with, and once I have children I'm going to be devoting most (if not all) of my time and energy towards them rather than trying to advance in the workplace.