Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Men Are Actually Different From Women?

For some strange reason I seem to only be able to talk about men and women lately. Perhaps this compulsion is due to the large female presence at my university, or it could be the intriguing articles and research that seems to be popping up so much lately. In all honesty it probably has something to do with my own anxieties over never having had a girlfriend as I approach my 21st birthday, but I like the other reasons more as they don't make me depressed so I'll go with those.

I'm actually not lying about the research, as a study from the Stanford School of Medicine on the differences between male and female brains during gaming was released this morning. Apparently when boys played the game they tested (a simple setup where they had to click balls as they moved towards a wall, if they kept the balls a certain distance away from the wall, by clicking, for a set time frame the wall would move forward, gaining territory essentially) the reward centers of the brain were more active in males than in females. What this means in essence is that males feel more of a reward for gaining territory in video games than females, and they also have a higher tendency to continue playing in order to gain more territory, thus males tend to "get hooked" into video games (which are typically based around aggression or territory gain) more easily. 

While there still needs to be a lot more research done to prove the findings in this article, I personally feel that it makes a lot of sense (as the article mentions, history shows that it is primarily men who are the conquerors). This reminds me a lot of an article I read once while waiting at the doctors that mentioned that women respond to social situations with the same "fight or flight" response mechanism that men face in life-or-death situations. I remember reading that article and feeling everything I knew about women "clicking". 

This article also made me realize why I want to find a partner who's as into gaming as I am, aside from the obvious fact that we'd have something to do together and that chicks who play video games are completely hot. What this article made me realize is that the types of women who would enjoy the same type of aggressive video games as me would have a more aggressive personality. These types of women are more reminiscent of the Buffies and Lara Croft's that guys like me have been drooling over ever since we hit puberty. Unfortunately this article also explains why they're more rare (being far different from the norm), which does not bode well for my personal romantic life. Then again, if it were easy to find the kind of girl I desire, then I probably wouldn't want them, or at the very least find them less "special".

-Cory Ragsdale

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very true, and as Alioto's 1st Law shows, a viewpoint I have held for some years. Interestingly, it is not until you grasp some of the more basic differences between men and women in social settings that you begin to be socially successful in the sphere of the other gender, and as your experience and understanding expands you become more and more able.

http://www.growyourgame.com/articles/attraction/ten-most-dangerous-mistakes-guys-make-with-women/

There's an interesting article; by the standards of most seduction/game articles, it's pretty damn and easy to grip. Just something worth thinking 'bout.

Josh Yaganeh said...

Hey Cory,
I got your facebook spam and figured I'd check out your blog.

Your post and the research you linked to reminded me of an article I read on Scientific American's website:
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=00018E9D-879D-1D06-8E49809EC588EEDF&page=1

The article goes over some of the reasons why men and women display different patterns of behavior and trace these back to structural differences in the brain caused by differing hormone levels during gestation and life.

Cory said...

Major Alioto, exactly, my problem plain and simple is that I just haven't taken the plunge into the dating world yet. It all comes down to the fact that I just plain suck at introducing myself to people.

Josh it's great to hear from you again and that article looks really interesting (I've only read the 1st page so far), I look forward to getting back from class to read it.