Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Vanity Fair?

I won't be talking too much today as I'm still recovering a little from yesterday's outpouring. THe reason for the title is this article. Yes, that's an article about an upcoming video game in Vanity Fair. Far more surprising however, is that it is one of the best previews for an upcoming game that I have read in months, in Vanity Fair. I was expecting something along the lines of FOX News' treatment of Mass Effect or at least the less-than-stellar reporting like in the New York Times (at least when it comes to video games). But no, what was presented here was a well-informed, well-written piece that managed to not only refrain from taking a jab at nerds (this is a STAR WARS VIDEO GAME), but they actually did a really good job of making the game look really appealing. This kind of journalism is something that I've been missing as of late (especially with the political campaigns in such force as they are), and it feels like a cool fresh breeze in the middle of the desert. I just hope other journalists realize how stupid they sound when compared to someone who actually does the work like this, though I hold no such hopes for fox news (I mean it's fox news).

-Cory Ragsdale

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, Fox news isn't that bad : )

Cory said...

Aside from their extreme bias and all-too common lack of any actual investigation for their reports, then I may agree with you. However, even without those two things counting against them they are completely unwilling to give video games a chance as a popular media, taking every opportunity to bash them or those who play them.

Honestly, outside of Town Hall I'd be hard pressed to find worse reporting. The worst part of it all is that they're such a massive media powerhouse, so unlike the one or two nutcases at townhall.com that get maybe one-hundred hits a day (all of these being people with internet access and at least a possible chance at knowing how to perform a simple google search), Fox News is broadcast to thousands of people, many of whom who do not have access to the internet or other ways to check the veracity of the reports they see on tv.

Fox News has done more to keep video games and nerd culture down in the gutters and something to be ashamed of than any other media source in America. So, I have a little bit of a problem with them. Ooh, thanks for the comment though, I was having trouble coming up with a rant today, but you got that all sorted out for me.