Friday, February 22, 2008

My Best Friend Dumped Me In Elementary School

I miss my best friend. I have really good friends up here in Tacoma, and really good friends down in Portland over the summer and winter school breaks, but none of them are my "best friend". I miss having someone to talk to that I could reveal any secret whatsoever and know that he would still back me up. I miss the guy that would play F-Zero for five hours with me only to put the game back in the SNES and keep going. My first, and last, best friend moved away sometime between third and fifth grade in elementary school, and it really breaks me up that I can't remember when. We still hung out and kept in touch, but as the years went by he got more and more distant, and by the end of middle school I didn't count him among my current friends anymore. Since then I've never had anybody who was close enough to really qualify for the role aside from my dog, but even he'd betray me for nothing more than a treat.

My big question right now is if I want to be looking for one in a girlfriend? I mean, it seems to me that this is exactly what one would want. I hung out with my best friend every single day I could and we never got bored of each others company, all of my best times were with him. To me these "best friend" qualities are what I would want in a romantic partner as well. The problem with this is that if I'm looking for a best friend, then that's only going to raise my expectations beyond their already absurd levels, which is something I'm trying to combat. I dunno, maybe I just feel that I've gone too long without a best friend, or maybe it's been too long since I saw my dog.

-Apologies for short post, I'm feeling a little down if you couldn't tell and I have a test tomorrow that I should be sleeping for.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Best friends are made over time, not found instantly. Those that are, aren't.