Wednesday, February 20, 2008

That's So Retarded

Today was yet another eye-opening experience in what appears to be my enlightenment over the last few weeks. The event that changed my view of the world occurred while I was sitting in my nutrition class listening to the class argue for and against artificial sweeteners and artificial fats. The argument started off simple enough, with each side trading facts and studies between each other, but it soon become a bash-fest against American eating habits and consumerism, with Europe and the "Mediterranean Diet" as their lord and savior. I realized that these people, the ones who cited opinions as facts, and couldn't even stay on topic for thirty minutes were college students, just like me. The girl who was vehemently arguing against artificial sweeteners in diet sodas while she sipped from a diet soda, was a college student like me. These were not innocent boobs off the street, these, dare I say, morons, got through the same entrance exam and attending the same university as I. I then realized that my university was one of the toughest on the west coast, so the people at other colleges are more likely to be stupider, and then there were those who didn't go to college, and then those who didn't graduate from high school
, etc... In essence, I learned that the world is comprised of retards.

I wish this weren't the case. I wish that everyone was intelligent, but that's not the case and it never has been the case. There were, however, checks in place to stop idiots before. If a dumbass was too stupid to coat his tent in honey, a bear would eat him. These days there are signs, warning labels, paid professionals whose job is to keep people from harming themselves with their own retardedness, and it's only getting worse. I remember going to playgrounds and learning to not slide my hands over wood because it gave you splinters, not to jump on wet metal because you'd slip and crack your skull on the monkey bars. These days playgrounds are all plastic and retarded. Playgrounds used to have huge spires and other random elements that were perfect for the imagination, now you have cubes with holes in them. We need to stop retard-proofing the world, it's only keeping them in the gene pool longer, and it's making it worse for the rest of us.

I do not apologize for my use of the word "retard", because PC people are retarded, because everyone else knows exactly what I meant and that I wasn't slandering the mentally disabled or whatever the fuck.

No comments: